Batu Caves is a limestone hill promoted as a place of worship in the 19th century by K. Thamboosamy Pillai, an Indian trader. Pillai was inspired by the ‘vel’-shaped entrance of the main cave and was inspired to dedicate a temple to Lord Muruga within the caves. (The Vel (Tamil: வேல்) is the divine javelin (spear) of the Hindu deity Murugan.) In 1890, Pillai, installed the murti (consecrated statue) of Sri Subramania Swamy in what is today known as the Temple Cave. In front of the Batu Caves stands a 42.7-metre (140 ft) high statue of Lord Muruga, unveiled in January 2006, the tallest Lord Muruga statue in the world.